5.26.2013

Printmaking at the Art Museum





I totally forgot that I had attended a printmaking class at Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art last Thursday.

It was part of their Spring Semester of free classes and happened to be the last class of the semester.


It was such a fun event to go to.  I love art museums, well museums in general.  The instructor of the course is actually an art professor at Auburn University.  He also had two of his pupils in there assisting the class.








First, he schooled us on the history of printmaking.  Secondly, he explained to us the materials that went into the process.  Then, he roughly demonstrated the process.  After all was said and done, he released us to create our own bits of art.

It was so interesting to watch such an antiquated art form that has barely changed over the centuries be performed virtually the same way that it always has been.  I'm also glad that we didn't have to do any of the inking with the oil-based ink (whew!). 


This is my own personal work.  We used thin pieces of aluminum or tin to etch our drawings into.  I have an affinity for drawing eyes and faces.  If I can't think of anything else to draw, I will start sketching faces.  I love the detail and expression you can have with portraits.  I'm not super crazy about much of anything else.  I couldn't think of anything to etch, so I just went for what I knew.


When I was waiting to get my block inked, a few ladies asked if I was an artist.  I don't really consider myself an artist.  I just like to draw and design.  I've had enough formal training for it, so I guess I could be considered as one.  The thing is most of my friends are extremely good at drawing and painting, and we don't really formally call each other artists.  So needless to say, I replied that I dabble in drawing, nothing serious.

The next semester they offer these classes I am definitely going to keep my eyes peeled so that I may sign up.  I somehow always tend to miss the line up when it comes out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! But then again who doesn't? Go ahead and drop me a line.